Middle River Volunteer Fire & Rescue Company #74
The Middle River Volunteer Ambulance Rescue Company (#52), founded in 1948, and the Middle River Volunteer Fire Company (#22), founded in 1943, have joined forces and consolidated. The former parent companies have formed the Middle River Volunteer Fire & Rescue Company #74 in the first major consolidation in Baltimore County, MD.
Informal discussions and chatter about consolidation have been going on for years with lukewarm responses from each organization. However, a bold step was taken in late 2013. The Consolidation Oversight Committee was assembled with equal number of representatives from each parent company. This committee became better known as Coalition 74 (52+22=74) and that number became affiliated with Middle River Volunteer Fire & Rescue Company. Coalition 74 had a desire from the beginning to be transparent and open with the Memberships of the parent organizations as well as the BCVFA and Baltimore County Government. The consolidation was accomplished through a process of Phases:
- February 2014 - Consolidation Oversight Committee (Coalition 74) began formal meetings.
- May 4, 2014 - Phase I Closeout presented to and accepted by memberships.
- March 1, 2015 - Phase II Closeout presented to and accepted by memberships.
- March 16, 2015 - Middle River Volunteer Fire & Rescue corporation formed (Parent Companies continue to operate independently.
- February 27, 2016 - New Constitution & By Laws approved by both memberships.
- April 2016 - Approval from memberships to move to Phase III Implementation.
- April-May 2016 - Administrative & Operations Officers Interviewed/Selected.
- August 31, 2016 - Phase III Closeout. All assets transferred and Middle River Volunteer Fire & Rescue Company becomes operational (Parent Companies cease to operate).
Currently, Middle River Volunteer Fire & Rescue Company operates out of the two original facilities. Plans are underway for relocating and constructing a new facility.